6.03.2008

How do they do it?

Another week has flown by! It's been exciting - my best friend Joy had her baby girl, Amelia, two weeks early, and we found out Kevin got the away rotation he applied for at the University of Virginia. That goes from August to September and we hoping to be at either UNC (North Carolina) or MUSC (South Carolina) from September until October. For those who are unfamiliar with how things in medical school work (it's all pretty confusing even for those of us whose lives revolve around it), away rotations really help you get a shoe in the door because you can show you are a hard worker, easy to get along with, etc. Otherwise you are pretty much just a name of a paper if you don't have some other connection.
Our air condition broke this past week, or never really worked as this was the first time we tried to use it, and we are wondering how people survive in Africa, South America, and other warm places where air conditioners are only legend or for the extremely wealthy. Kevin and I are uncomfortable but it's not that big a deal for us. The kids on the other hand both have heat rash and wake up all sweaty and very uncomfortable from naps. I guess babies in those hot climates just adapt and adjust! If nothing else, this experience is really going to make us appreciate that A/C. That and remind us how truly spoiled we are that it is tough for us to go without climate control for just a few days!
Peter has grown So much. He's almost 12 pounds and is starting to hold his head up, which requires a great deal of very cute concentration, and make eye contact. I might be reaching but I also think he is starting to smile a little bit. We got some photos back from a friend that were taken a little under a week after Pete was born and he has changed quite a bit!
Jillian is slowly adjusting to big sisterdome. She loves to give kisses and asks for Peter immediately upon waking and sometimes just after she hasn't seen him for a while. It's like she's forgotten he's around and she'll look at me quizzically and ask "Peter?" On the other hand, she is still struggling as far as stepping aside when I need to help Peter. If I ask her to get off of my lap or move over, etc. she gets very sad and does that cry where she doesn't breath for a few seconds. Her "recoveries" are getting quicker though. Something cute she'll do is try to make him laugh by making monkey faces or blowing her cheeks up and slapping the air out. He's not too impressed yet but she thinks it is hilarious, and so do I. Do all mothers think their children are this funny or is it just me? She's taken to saying "Sure" instead of "Yes," which she never got the hang of in the first place. So she'll suggest something and when we repeat her request to clarify she responds "Oh, sure" like she had nothing to do with the initiation of the idea. "Mama, ike a baba." Translation: Mom, I would like a drink. Then I ask "Jillian would you like a drink?" Her response "Oh, sure" as she whistles and looks around all shifty eyed :). She's also discovered that she can get out of nursery (why she wants to is a mystery because she seems to really like it) by saying one of two things "Potty" or holding her nose and saying "P.U. (how does one spell that?), stinky." That little stinker, excuse the pun.

3 comments:

Maggie said...

The A/C at our new place is currently out of order so we've been working over there without it. It has almost killed me and after about half an hour over there Charlotte starts to cry to go home. All I can think of is that not only is it hot but it's also humid. I used to think people who said that were silly, but it's totally true. It's the humidity that's killing me!

PS. Both of your kids are extra cute!

Brittany Owens said...

Our A/C wasn't working either. How weird is this. I fixed it myself though. How clever am I? Coming from Arizona, I can agree with Maggie and it is the humidity. Our kids are just way to smart for their own good. I take it for granted sometimes.

sarah said...

I'm so sorry about your A/C, if you ever need relief, please come over!