6.18.2009

Ukranians drive a hard bargain!

So we spent about four hours today on the side of a busy street in Brooklyn, under some train tracks no less, trying to bargain on the price of a new, to us, minivan. But those guys would hardly budge! Anyway, if you can picture a rainy day in an intimidating downtown, lots of honking, crazy driving and frustrated, yet patient children, that was pretty much our experience. Somehow though I still get such a rush from just going into the city. We were in a district today full of Orthodox Jews and it's just fascinating to get a glimpse into their everyday lives! I guess I'm doubly intrigued because I just read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. After Kevin took the two vans we were looking at out for test drives, which took over an hour in and of itself in the traffic, we individually and collectively took turns sitting in the "office," or the back of their huge van on the side of the street. Chalk it up for crazy car buying experiences- I'm hoping this is as adventerous as we get when it comes to buying cars! Oh, and the other funny thing that happened was that we had already been to this same address looking at another car and didn't realize it until we were parked out front.

4 comments:

anorthowife said...

it's a good thing you were in the orthodox neighborhood - because the soon as you step out of their community, you're in one of the most dangerous parts of brooklynn! tell me you at least picked up some Kugal while you were there???

Holly said...

you guys are nuts!!! did you guys buy something? I CANNOT wait till we can get a minivan...one day. I miss you guys!!!

Alex said...

Minivans are cool. Welcome to the ranks. We miss you guys.

John and Karisa said...

So did you get it? What kind of minivan? Wow-- you're officially grown up now!

I just discovered the spitting image of Kevin. I'm watching The Importance of Being Earnest while I write this-- he looks exactly like Colin Firth! I don't know why I didn't discover that before. Cool!