8.14.2009

Independence Day

This year I felt a bit more patriotic, having recently read a book about John and Abigail Adams and all that they sacrificed. YEARS of being apart, John abroad or in another city in the colonies and Abigail at home trying to raise and educate her children. She even lost a baby girl at birth and the next day sat down and wrote John a letter that he should continue attending to his duties because she could handle things alone and he was needed where he was! What perspective and an amazingly positive attitude. Her health was also bad much of her life and she suffered depression, at least that was my understanding of her situation as I read, but she bore it with fortitude as her husband and she gave their all that we might enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Many times they had friends change into enemies over night because of John's stance on things, especially dealing with the relationship between France and America. He had lived there for many years but people turned a bling eye to his warnings about what was going on with the French Revolution. Thomas Jefferson was a close friend and then, later in their careers, turned against his friend over differences of opinion and beat John for the presidency. Samuel Adams, their son, died of alcholism in his youth. I would probably consider this the greatest sacrifice on his father's part, as he was absent most of the boy's upbringing, and while he would have been an exemplary example had he been there, he wasn't there. I think this family and others are probably turning over in their graves at the apathy we sometimes display! I also think they would be horrified at some liberties they worked to establish that are now regulated. And with all the (work, blood, sweat and tears!) they gave to support themselves, they would be appalled that so many think these things should handed to them without lifting a finger. Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox:), and say we enjoyed a wonderful Independence Day and thought a little bit more about what has been bequeathed to us by others' countless sacrifices!


The librarian came up to us and said we were in trouble...because our kids were just too cute. Finally, someone who sees things how I see them:)





They even had face painting!

All-american girl

2 comments:

Angelavon said...

Have you seen the HBO series "John Adams"? It is a must see and I'm sure you would love it after reading the book. We miss you guys!!!

Doreen said...

You summarized that book with such eloquence, Chels. Jill looks rad on her trike. There are three similar looking trikes (a lot older though) that we brought over to Gma Gertsch's. Maybe by the time you guys move down here all four of the kids will be able to ride bikes together. p.s. I am starting to read Common Sense by Glenn Beck. I hear it's good. I love Glenn Beck's stance.