12.20.2009




We awoke the morning of the 20th to a winter wonderland. Church was cancelled and we got to sequester ourselves away in our warmish house all day. Kevin had to work a 24 hour shift, unfortunately, so was up shoveling his car out at 7:00. We were bummed he couldn't take the day off with us but I was glad his being up got me out of bed early. After I saw him off and shoveled a bit more, my good friend Deepa was coming in on the train that night and we needed a clear path so we could get out to pick her up!, I went and grabbed some company, the camera, and enjoyed the world as it lay in solemn stillness. SO peaceful. Not even the song of a bird disturbed the silence for a good bit. I wonder if this is how it felt to Adam and Eve, seeing the world, so undisturbed, just after the creation. I love, love, love to look out on the fresh snow before anyone has walked on it. I love how everything in nature bears testimony of Christ, his life, then death, then Resurrection. And it's so wise of God to have a resting period of nature and to give man the Sabbath on which to rest. I need to be better about resting myself period so I can be whole. Just a random thought. Anyway, I am reminded of a Young Life ski trip I went on with some friends from high school. One night, around ten o'clock they had us bundle up and go sit somewhere outside, alone for a good half hour or so. I think they asked us to think about our relationship with God or who we were or something. The moon was SO bright and I remember it being such a neat experience. You'd think we would have been frozen by the time they called us in after sitting in the snow but we were mesmorized, I suppose, by the nature surrounding us and the chance to think on sacred things in a sacred spot of earth. Anyway, for now, we're enjoying our beautiful snow-covered region of the earth:) And we were glad to have a White Christmas, too!

1 comment:

BWei said...

So beautiful. I haven't been able to see a scene like that in quite some time. Lovely.