8.18.2010
does anyone have a brilliant, or even slightly well organized, system for organizing their pictures and videos? i am going crazy, so much so that I'm doing absolutely nothing about it, with all these pictures! sometimes i try and upload them and print them, then sometimes i don't for long periods of time, so then i just have random periods of time printed. ideally i would like them accessible so that we can look at them. (but let's be honest, i'm never going to scrap book them)our computer is getting too full so i need to back them up and get them off of the computer so it's not so slow but then we won't have any pop up on our screen saver of when the kids were babies, that time we..., etc., ya know? just wondering if anyone has a good system to help hold my insanity at bay. also, does anyone know of an online site to print from where i can just upload my whole file? that would be awesome instead of doing it picture by picture like i am now. thanks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I am in the same boat. If you find a good anser, let me know!
Tammy Jackson
I think this is the never ending quest of life in the digital age. We all have so many photos and it's just so easy to take a ton and keep them all. Anyway, I don't think I have a total solution, but here's what I try to do:
-As soon as a major event occurs with lots of photos (or every few weeks if there aren't any major events) unload my card onto my computer and immediately get rid of any bad shots (eyes closed, blurry, one of 15 of the same thing, etc.)
-I rename all remaining photos with the date and event
-I pick a few favorites from each event/few weeks and copy them into a "Best Of" folder
-Every year I burn a "Best of" CD or DVD as backup of the photos
-Every year I try to get a book printed on Blurb so our family will remember the events of the year. I've found that it's easiest for me to just create one written page for each month with bulleted highlights, then that months favorite photos follow (no captions, dates, etc. -- just keeping it simple)
Of course all of these things are much easier if you stay on top of them regularly... which, let's be honest, can be tough!
Oh, I also like to make a DVD of the best videos of the year (in movie/slideshow form) - just one per year.
Oh man Chels... this is the bane of my existence. BUT, after all these years...I kind of have a system. I would have to call ya to tell you all my little ways. However, I found this (actually came in my email feed today) and thought "how ironic" it came this afternoon.
Check it out and see what you think....remember, almost ALL the online photo storage sites have print and pick up at a local store nearby. I.e., Target=Shutterfly. Walgreens is their own, and Snapfish = Walgreens, CVS? A few more. Costco has the same.
Good luck. Just remember, you can let all that take over your life if you allow it to stress you out. The best way to do it is what will work for you. GOOD LUCK.
Helps if I include the link.....http://www.cozi.com/live-simply/3-fool-proof-digital-photo-storage-solutions-one-big-dont
I burn mine on cds and also on our external hard drive so I have two copies.
once a year or so I make a book on winkflsh (but annoyingly you have to upload every single picture.) I wait until there's a sale for flat rate of $20 for 100 pages to print. I only put dates on as text and sometimes names.
for viewing/organizing pictures on your computer, I like picasa (free google download). it also has some editing capabilities.
still waiting for news about your move!
just like a month left for you--good luck! hope you come early this time!
Post a Comment