3.07.2015

Seminary Graduation

The kids just got out my old seminary scriptures and I found this sacrament meeting talk I wrote about seminary. Just thought I'd record it, as a piece of me as a teenager.

Good afternoon, Brothers and Sisters. Early morning seminary is a program the church puts out for youth. Every morning before school, here in Pennsylvania anyway, we meet for 45 minutes to learn about one of the four texts of scripture. This year we studied the New Testament. My favorite thing we learned was about Christ. He was smart, brave and even sarcastic. He risked so much every time he took the less popular side, like the woman who had committed adultery. He called for the person without sin among the persecutors to step forward and cast the first stone. Of course, no one could.

In Matthew 22:37, he gives us the commandment to love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul and with all thy mind, along with loving thy neighbor as thy self. He knows there are going to be trials so he tells us to come unto Him, he will lighten our burden. In Mark 8:35-37, it reads:

For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever will lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Don't these scriptures seem to lay it out straight for us? Love the Lord, Serve Him, and your fellowmen and endure. In seminary there are also 25 important scriptures that we focus on and try to learn, called scripture mastery. My favorite scripture mastery has to do with this (Not sure which one it was?) One thing I find interesting is that Satan isn't physically going to be bound but that the saints will be just too strong for him to get to them.

I'm glad that this year I was able to learn so much more about Christ's characteristics and personality.

I'd like to bear my testimony that going to seminary will strengthen your testimony of the gospel and Christ. I'm grateful Bobbie was willing to come and teach us every morning. I'm glad to know God loves me and for my family and I'm grateful for friends that I can come here and see every Sunday and Sarah during the week who will support me in the decisions I make to become who I am.  

No comments: