There really should be a documentary made about MATCH DAY. It's a pretty interesting cultural event in the lives of America's future doctors. It begins to feel pretty routine in this family full of doctors/medical students but for those of you who aren't familiar with it, you enter your possibilities (or rank order of the places with which you interviewed) into a computer system and by so doing, are legally bound to abide by the results. On match day you get an envelope with the program where will do your residency. Emotions run high and some people were crying because they were excited, and some others seemed close to tears because they weren't happy, people gave shouts of joy and, I think, pretty much everyone was shaking as they opened their letter and felt relief to finally KNOW where they would be training. Saint Louis University had their event this year at a place called Lumen, a modern private events center that turned out to be really neat. We got there and waited for Kevin's name to be called so he could pick up the coveted envelope. He got faked out several times, since there are 5? Kevin's in his class and three of them were called before he was. He finally heard our last name and headed over to get his envelope. I felt a strange sense of panic that he was not going to be able to wait but he made it back with the envelope unopened:) His letter said he would be doing his transitional year in...Bridgeport, CT at St. Vincent's Hospital. Although this may seem random to some of you, since we already know we'll be at UNC for his ophthalmology training, we are excited for one last hoorah before we "settle down," at least for three years. We can't wait to see what New England has to offer and live by NYC at Christmas time!!! If you've got any suggestions or must-dos for the area, let us know! We wish we had gotten photos of EVERYONE but here are some we did get on 03-19-09.
3.26.2009
March 19th
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


15 comments:
That's so exciting! I have a cousin on the shore somewhere in CT. I'll have to find out if she's near Bridgeport. She's loving New England. Congrats and too bad you'll be about as far away from us as possible!
Whoo! That's only 3 hours from us! Can we meet you in NYC for Christmas? That would be SO FUN :) I'm excited to have you guys close(r) by!
Very cool!! That's awesome.
Congrats, doc. :)
How exciting! It will be so fun to have another totally new experience before his official residency. Congratulations!
Congratulations! That is so exciting! My brother and family live in CT, so I'll ask them what there is to do.
congratulations! sounds like a fun transitional year. good luck with the move!
Hey, thanks for the nice comment on our blog! I'm going to try to be better about updating it...the past 6 months have just been a rollercoaster. I enjoy looking at yours, too, and now feel much better informed regarding Match Day :)
ha ha,I'm using your own computer to comment! very high quality pics. I am very jealous of your rebel. You can stay with my brother--he lives right outside of nyc right on the subway line.
How fun!!! I would love to live in New England. FYI-Ami Peterson Moffitt (I don't know if you remember her from Jarretown), but she lives there now in Greenich, CT. Let me know if would like her blog or number! We're excited to see you all soon! :)
We are SO excited for you guys! We'll be even MORE excited when you come to Chapel Hill :) You guys look GREAT in those pictures, by the way. Jillian's hair is starting to get long!
That is so great Chelsey! I have a brother who lives in Elon, NC and they love it there! Oh, and that's cool some of your friends are heading for Cincinnati (that is where I live). Maybe we'll meet them next year...tell them to move into the Western Hills Ward. Good luck!
Congratulations! We are really going to miss you guys!
This is already a documentary about it. It's titled "Called to Serve".
My sister and my niece live in Manhattan. You should leave a message on her blog. I'm sure she would love to show you all the kid friendly treasures of the city.
emmaandjohnnyc.blogspot.com
Sorry, it's johnandemmanyc.blogspot.com
Post a Comment