4.15.2009

An unfortunate turn of events?

The day after the trip to Nauvoo we got a call on Sunday afternoon. My Grandma Powers and Aunt Maribeth were stranded in our airport due to some confusion with dates and their flight. I'm sure they were bummed but we were excited to get their call and to learn they could spend the night! They were gracious guests and I think Jillian especially enjoyed their visit. She had her 90 year-old Great Grandma on the floor doing puzzles and they must have read 30 books together in 12 hours! Jillian still talks about Aunt Maribeff too, who is also especially doting and good with her. Unfortunately we didn't get any photos of them together but we got plenty of Grandma and Jillian and Peter, pretty much priceless!








Grandma is seriously one of the best examples of getting softer with age, which is how I think God intends us to be. I also think we learn from the world around us that it makes sense to get more cynical the more experienced we are and that we have every excuse to just get grumpier as our bodies deteriorate. Grandma is wonderful example of the opposite of all of that! She is so kind and sweet to everyone. She is without guile, is genuinely happy when others succeed and doesn't seem to have a jealous bone in her body. Just during the weekend we spent in Nauvoo we met one woman Grandma introduced to the LDS church, one woman who was a new convert at the time that she was my aunt's roommate in Richmond and a couple where the husband was the missionary who had taught a young girl the gospel at my Grandma's house. The girl later became his wife and they were married in the temple. There are SOOOO many others with whom Grandma has shared her testimony who have come into the church. If I'm not mistaken this even includes her mailman at one point:) I am always amazed at how all inclusive Grandma's embrace can be!

3 comments:

_______ said...

Wow, your grandma is pretty amazing! I remember when we were little and she was visiting and watching us and you wanted some icecream and it was hard as a rock and your grandma digged some out for us. I remember thinking how is she doing that, and watching her arms shaking in the process. That sounds like you had a fun visit. It was fun to see pictures of her.

Mama_Mary said...

That was a treat to read!!

Alisa said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your great advice on how to make the big brother transition go as smoothly as possible. I absolutely love the idea of having a special bag of toys he an only play with while I'm nursing. That is GENIUS!!! Now.... what to put in the bag..... (: Thanks again!!