6.04.2009

Stretching is good for the soul!

Just a random of our little monkey

Saw this idea on a long lost friend's blog and loved it. Funny thing is that I haven't seen her in years and we have so many similar goals! She did it on her birthday...30 things to accomplish before she turns 30! I might add there are some items that I've included that I've been working on for a long time so for those I'm working more on mastery!
1. Study the scriptures daily on my own, with my kids and with my hubbs
2. Learn to discipline J and P in a more loving and effective way
3. Simplify my home so it doesn't require as much clean up thereby causing me less stress:)
4. Hold Family Home Evening each week
5. Learn how to coupon (Help, Doreen!) and save money!
6. Strictly follow the budget we set up! Sell my wedding ring, JUST KIDDING!
7. Have a positive attitude during residency! Be supportive of Kevin!
8. Buy a house with four walls and indoor plumbing:)
9. Grow a garden, a VERY small one is in progress
10. Compete in one half-marathon a year, and finish one in under 2 hours
11. Take a photography class
12. Learn and master the art of editing photos
13. Read more (join a local book club)
14. Take fun family vacations
15. Forgive freely and let it go!
16. Get outside my comfort zone and make friends in unlikely places!
17. Keep in touch with old friends!
18. Go to the temple twice a month
19. Improve my vocabulary
20. Practice my Spanish (reading, writing and speaking skills)
21. Teach my kids Spanish (Learn how and do it!)
22. Eat more healthily.
23. Be more conscious of what I'm feeding the kids.
24. Remember birthdays of family and friends
25. Write in my journal every two weeks
26. Keep up my blogs
27. Be a faithful visiting teacher, and keep up with my responsibilities at church!
And I'll end with a few biggies for me...
28. Master the habit of going to bed earlier, notice I'm posting this at 12:29 a.m.
29. Cook dinner for the family at least five times a week...I know, I'm so lame that I don't already do this!
30. Have fun!
And two I couldn't include 'cause they're negative but I want to master them nonetheless...
1)No gossiping
2)Lose the judgemental attitude I struggle with! Give people the benefit of the doubt even if I think they don't deserve it!
I'm so pumped about this list! I just noticed most of the items have exclamation points behind them. What do you hope to accomplish in the next few years?!

5 comments:

Sarah Palfreyman said...

Great List! I have one of these two and I think writing these goals down definitely helps them be concrete. Yours are all so good and inspiring. Glad we saw you guys!

Gillian said...

Oh Chels...you are great just for having a list! I remember a letter you wrote to me while I was a missionary--you had just gotten home and you were committed to an hour of gospel study a day; 1/2 hour of B of M and 1/2 hour of conference talks/Bible/church history etc. I was so impressed and vowed to do the same when I got home, but alas, it didn't happen.

Right now my goal motivation is YW personal progress. As a presidency we promised the girls that we would each complete the program. It took me about nine months to get going on it (during that nine months I kept praying for ideas on how to improve myself, and then during a YW broadcast I realized that the answer was right in front of me, and that I had already committed to it). I'm pretty lazy, so it is a big relief to have goal suggestions that give direction to my scripture study and attribute development :-) Right now I'm working on the big project for faith, memorizing a scripture for 10 minutes every day for 60 days. It's funny how motivated I am by the idea of signing off on goals.

It sounds like you're doing great... Jenny is so excited to have you nearby next year!

Mary said...

Love the list!!!! Eddie did that, not 30, but he actually ended up accomplishing a lot of them, example working for Disney! So lists DO WORK!!! Now why haven't I made one?! Excited to see you this week!

Amie Orton said...

loved that chels, I'm going to go start my list now too!

amie

Grericag said...

You are so awesome and inspiring Chelsey! I really miss you and I enjoy reading your blog. Your header picture of you and the kiddos (Memoirs of a Mother- i love it) is absolutely beautiful. Your list is very similar to mine (not surprisingly), and I've been working on some of those things for years...it's an ongoing process. A lot of those things are life-long and help us focus on the things that are most important! Thank you for sharing, and for inspiring me to do better. I sure love you hermana! I can't wait to hear about your trip to Europe - how fun! I'm glad you guys made it safe and soundly to Connecticut and that Kevin is officially MD- woo hoo! How exciting to be starting residency...now you guys will actually get a paycheck (although meager compared to the hours, at least it's something)!