12.17.2008

Getting our Christmas Tree and Making Gingerbread houses!

It's become a tradition for our little family to get a Christmas tree at Ted Drewes' Custard. We loved our little tree this year. It's always so fun to enjoy an evening or two sitting with the lights dimmed and the Christmas lights plugged in.








Making gingerbread houses has become quite the little family tradition for us. Kevin and I did our first house when we were dating in the Prov. Come to find out later, this was a date he'd done with a few other girls. But I'm okay with that. I'd rather be the last than the first in this situation;) We've since upgraded. Well, actually the Newmans have improved our house by actually making real gingerbread cookie pieces that you can fit together to make your own cozy little place, with gingerbread people no less. (We've done this with them for the last two Christmases and think that this alone might just be enough reason to stay in St. Louis for residency.) This year the Valentines joined us. We hope no actual marital spats arose from this evening, as it can sometimes be difficult to meld (is that a word?) two visions into one when it is something (like gingerbread house decoration, and therefore post-decoration candy eating) so important at stake. Merry Christmas!

Back at the Riv. December 2004
December 2007. Jill is about 18 months and we were expecting Peter.
Marie and Blake, pre-Isaac. They were expecting too, unbenounced to us.

December 2008, Isaac not pictured here. Something funky going on with the camera. These are the master cookie bakers.

The Valentines and their masterpiece

Family...isn't it about time?

8 comments:

Brittany Owens said...

How fun! I have always wanted to tackle the gingerbread houses. Looks like you had fun. I love Christmas.

Moonsahra said...

It does sound like a lot of fun! We used to make a gingerbread house every year when I was little. One year I wanted to make my own pattern...the chimney was WAY too huge. I like to think I'd do better now.

I blog-stalk a lot of people, so I've known about your blog for a while!

BWei said...

Fun times! My family made gingerbread houses out of graham crackers (which we'll probably do next week), which was good for me because I was not a skilled house-maker (unlike my older brothers' creations). I know what you mean about "melding two visions" together--we always get a kick out of the compromises we have to make when we put out our Christmas newsletter...the disagreements/different visions make the end product all the better! :-)

CValentine said...

Thanks again for having us...we had a blast! Don't worry abt marital spats. We never get to argue so we have to pretend. I never thought abt what that would look like to third parties. Good news! There weren't even any good-natured arguments about the eating process...it is ALL GONE!

Mary said...

I love gingerbread houses! That is a tradition that my family always did each Christmas and something me and Eddie love to do as well. Come to think of it, we need to do that still! You guys are so cute.

John and Karisa said...

Memories! I remember when you guys made those gingerbread houses at the Riv. The last picture is the best-- you really could do a commercial about family togetherness with that one.

What are you doing for Christmas? Is Kevin done with interviews yet?

Martha said...

Chels--what a small world. Marie in these pictures grew up in my homeward in Salt Lake. Please tell her hello for me! (I'll check her blog too.) How funny!

Tori said...

That looks like so much fun! Real gingerbread huh? I would probably eat it all rather than turn it into a masterpiece. I love your family picture at the top of your blog. Beautiful!