5.27.2010

MoMA

I'd been wanting to go to the Museum of Modern Art for some time so one friday night we finally rushed down for the free hours. Some modern art I love. Some I really don't get but I really do try to appreciate it. Still, I get a kick out of Kevin's response to it. "Is this painting supposed to evoke ANGER? Because it does for me. Just knowing someone got paid that much money to paint this canvas off-white." The kids, on the other hand, didn't get it either:) Jillian kept raising her eyebrows and giving funny looks. I think maybe that was foreshadowing for many museum visits of all kinds in the future:) It was a fun visit.



This is a shot from above of an artist who sits there all day long, without food, water or, apparently, bathroom breaks. People come and sit across from her, she stares at them until they leave and that's how she gets her energy. (The security guard who clued us in said "I think she's a witch.") Her exhibit is of live nude bodies, as in people standing there nude. Personally I think that's God's artwork to claim, but anyhow, glad we didn't accidentally stumble across that one with the kids. Anyway, I'm sure I'm showing my ignorance regarding all things Modern Art but you gotta have a little fun with it:)

4 comments:

Paige said...

ha, that's funny. The MOMA is totally wacky. I think you have to be some serious "artist" to appreciate most of that stuff. And personally, I totally agree with Kevin's opinion. I remember going in high school and only liking the Ansel Adams corner - not suprisingly.

The Sorensens said...

Sounds like a very interesting visit to the museum. Glad it didn't end up R rated! :o)

canne said...

we saw the naked bodies!! i liked it but i think you made a good parent move by not taking the kids. it felt like that weird dream where you're naked in a crowd, except you're not the one who is naked and you're not sure how to react.

brown_sheep said...

my friend was telling me about the artist that sits across from people the other day - out of control! or totally IN control?! i'm not sure.