5.20.2010

Fathers and Sons Campout

Kevin always reminds me that this campout is scheduled to coincide with the restoration of the priesthood. That's pretty neat! Peter got to go with Dad for the first time this year and had a blast. I had Peter all packed and then Kevin came home and immediately rummaged through Pete's drawers and got out these jeans that were a few sizes too big, because you HAVE to wear jeans camping. An unwritten rule, I guess:)
We really talked up the whole "camping experience" all day and the days leading up to it. I think it made Peter a tiny bit apprehensive. He wasn't sure what to think about where they were going and why just he and Dad were going. We realized afterward he never really goes anywhere without me, and definitely not without Jill. If Kevin takes the kids somewhere, it's usually because I'm busy with something else and they're both with Dad. Otherwise, if Kevin's with us, we're all going. Kevin said he was very quiet in the car and wide-eyed in anticipation.
But as soon as they got there he realized he was in for a treat! He was SO excited to help set up the tent! Kevin also described the moment they got out of the car and Peter saw it was all men and boys. Apparently sometimes Moms just get in the way of fun. Like if Moms had been there, we would have put a stop to the mudsliding going on:)

Kevin said the older boys were really sweet with Peter, who was by far the youngest one there. Kevin was smart and made Peter in charge of handing out the marshmallows:) At one point, someone commented on his Diego jammies, asking if Peter liked that show. He said "Yes," and the older boy said "Yeah, it's a really good show. I like it a lot when I was your age, too."
They had so much fun these are the only photos they got but I guess that's part of the mystery of the Fathers and Sons campout as well. That night it poured down rain with some thunder and lightning but apparently Peter didn't wake up at all.
I know Kevin has lots of very fond memories at these campouts with his dad. I thought it was sweet how excited he was to be able to take his own son and that Peter was the youngest one there. Here's to many more!

6 comments:

anorthowife said...

Oh plea. We all know that the REAL reason they have such a blast is because they love peeing in the woods!

And can you ask Peter to pass me a marshmallow? I'm getting hungry for one now!

anorthowife said...

Oh plea. We all know that the REAL reason they have such a blast is because they love peeing in the woods!

And can you ask Peter to pass me a marshmallow? I'm getting hungry for one now!

anorthowife said...

Oh plea. We all know that the REAL reason they have such a blast is because they love peeing in the woods!

And can you ask Peter to pass me a marshmallow? I'm getting hungry for one now!

Marie said...

that is so sweet! what a fun thing to do.

Mary said...

Aww Kev is such a good daddy :)

Elisa said...

Scott and I laughed at the lack of camp pictures because whenever him and Char get back, I always say, "that's it? that's the only picture you took? I shouldn't left the camera for our girls night" :)