
Jillian has had a lot of firsts this year. One of them was her first broken arm! She fell off of some large Rubbermaid bins where I store clothes the kids have outgrown. She was reaching for something high on the shelf in the closet when she fell. We heard a loud crash followed by silence but then Hunter started calling for us. The wind was still knocked out of Jillian by the time Kevin made it up the stairs and she was a little blue in color! She finally got her breath back and screamed. She felt like she couldn't move for a few seconds and that was alarming! After a few minutes she was able to move around and calm down a bit but her arm was still bothering her. We didn't end up taking her into the doctor for two days, because she was hurt on a Sunday and the next day was Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. We called the pediatrician on-call though and they said it wasn't a big deal to wait until Tuesday, which is what we did. The doctor could tell right away that it was broken because she couldn't rotate her wrist from back to front and that is usually a sign that one of those bones in the forearm is broken. It turned out they were both broken, so the cast she ended up with was to her armpit. It was a hassle but kids are amazing at adapting! She wrote the whole month with her left hand and did fairly well! I guess we could do without another one of these "firsts" but all-in-all, things went pretty smoothly! Jillian also enjoyed a bit of attention through the whole experience:)

Peter wanted in on the photo-op.


Jillian went to a way cool birthday party and got these flowers, and even got some jewels on her face!
2 comments:
I LOVE that your children are so adorable and SO you and Kevin! There is NO mistaking that they are Gertsches! Miss you guys :)
poor girl! I've been reading your other posts and I totally agree with the giving a 3-year-old attention thing. I've been noticing that lately--Isaac does so much better when I'm not preoccupied with other things during the day. but sometimes it's just so draining to try to pay attention to everything he does and comment and play along, especially when the item of the month is superheros! I'm not a very good superhero. or lego building. Isaac's kind of out of my league now! but you are a great mom and your kids are lucky that you are so in tune with their needs. I loved seeing your picnic on the deck all bundled up in coats--the kids have to get out even when it's chilly!
Post a Comment