5.07.2009

Half-marathoners!

Without further ado...I'm catching up the blog and then I'll post some pictures from Europa. 

I'm finally ready to blog about the race some (wonderful) friends and I did at the beginning of April. I was a little disappointed with my time, which is a big deal for me because, as some of you may know, I don't have a competitive streak in my body. Not even against myself. I hadn't really set any concrete goals as far as finishing times go before this race. I've always liked to be active but this race was different because I really pushed myself hard in training and it felt so great to reach the physical goals I set for myself. A friend set up a blog for us to record what we were doing in our individual workouts, if we wanted to, and then we ran the long runs together on the weekends. I would encourage anyone and everyone to do this with friends who are at about your same pace. The girls I did it with were a bit faster than me and it turned out to be a fantastic fit. The blog kept us accountable and I found myself pushing to reach a new time even with each short run. As I said, this is totally not me usually but it was fun to find that if you train hard enough you really can get faster. I have always fallen into the rut that "I'm slow. I was born slow and I'll die slow." Which is probably partly true:) because those Powers genes are sure slow and methodical, however thorough we may be:) (I swear I drove the nurses I worked with nuts because I was so slow but, hey, why rush if you're going to just sit around after you're done anyway?) Anyway, although I missed my goal by a bit, I think it's a step in the right direction. I've got somewhere to go from here and I learned a lot about myself training for this race. I improved my time quite a bit AND it was fun!! and I'm going to miss these fabulous running companions and friends!
Emily, Amy, Mindy, Angela, Me, and Holly
This man dressed up like a penny was surprisingly speedy!
Feeling great right at the beginning
I always look like I'm walking in photos but I was running!

I thought this was a pretty funny picture of Amy and Chad.
The supportive hubbies and kids who helped us train

I kept saying "Don't worry. I don't feel a thing." Then I realized I was supporting a lot less of the pyramid than Angela:)
Successful in the end
Such a happy little camper
A serious interchange between Asher, Ruby and Jillian    


p.s. I almost forgot to mention that Springfield, IL is an awesome place. Definitely worth the two hour drive from St. Louis. Going to the Lincoln museum was so inspiring. I feel like such a bum when I  see/hear stories of people who were SO courageous and gave their all for equality. Before visiting the museum I had heard mixed reviews about whether or not President Lincoln was against slavery. I learned that he was and that he was SO brave in his decision, which he made on his own, to make the Emancipation Proclamation. His own life was certainly peppered with sorrow with the loss of his son (he might have lost more than one but I can't remember) and the difficulty his wife had afterwards. Inspiring is the only word I can think of as you walk in the first exhibit that represents his life. There are all these voices shouting why Lincoln is a fool, why he will fail, etc and on and on and on. There were countless political cartoons as well designed to make him look like such a buffoon. He was up against so much and even though he faced so much unpopularity he did so much for the nation and the future of its people, at a very personal expense to himself. As you walk by the representation of his funeral procession there is definitely a sacred feeling, for Lincoln who gave so much, and all the lives lost in the American Civil War.

1 comment:

_______ said...

Congrats! What an amazing accomplishment!

Taylor and I were able to see the Emancipation Proclamation which was on loan from the white house on display at one of the Smithsonians over Christmas - very interesting man, who was very insired, and who had amazing courage to stand up for his beliefs.