11.16.2009

I'll let the pictures do the talking since there are one mill-i-on of them. We got this idea to go to Highline Park from Doreen's sister Teresa, who lives in Manhattan. (And this blog post will probably be very similar to hers:) Kevin had the day off and we were trying to figure out what to do in the time we had, which wasn't a ton of time. We talked about several different options and then Kevin says "Let's go downtown!" which was exactly what I wanted to do, of course, but didn't want to suggest it since he is usually the one who drives, it was his day off, etc and so forth. It was just fun to drive down for a few hours, find a free and convenient parking spot, pretty hard to find for us country folk who don't know the city super well, visit these parks and enjoy the bustling city. I don't know what it is about this place but as soon as we start getting close on the highway my senses start waking up. The energy of the whole place serges through me and I feel like my eyes are working double time to take in all the new people and places. I LOVE everything about it. I don't know if we'll ever live there but I sure do fantasize about it, even though I'm sure there are things that are difficult about city life. Oh, I said I'd let the pictures do the talking:)
A parking garage we passed on the way there
Highline Park is a converted railroad line above the city. They tried to integrate the fact that it was a rail line and they still have parts of the track as you walk along and some of the benches, as you'll see later, are on wheels that look like mini train wheels resting on track. Here's Kevin walking along above the city.

Sweet architecture! Two such distinct buildings right next to each other. They reminded me a lot of McIntosh's style, correct me if I'm wrong, Art History Buffs.

There's a spot where you can watch the world go by on a Manhattan street down below. The kids loved it.

You could see Lady Liberty from this spot so Jill decided to impersonate her.


A few times Peter found rocks and tried to hurl them down onto the unsuspecting world below. Luckily we saw the wheels in his head turning and stopped him.




Another fun park. This one's in central park.




2 comments:

Jaime said...

what a cool idea for a park! looks like a fun time was had by all :) i miss you and can't wait to see you and your cute kiddos at thanksgiving! (you are coming down, right?)

Doreen said...

Awesome! Those pictures where Kevin is swinging the kids Jillian's pants look like they're going to fall off because she's being flung so hard! haha. Kevin's so strong :)
Fun day!