7.31.2009

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.
The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
- Ruth Hulbert Hamilton
I have intended to make the last stanza into a wall hanging for a long time but it just seemed paradoxical to sit down and do:) I'm trying to take our mornings slower, watch my kids while they sleep and relax and play with them instead of rush them. Just thought I would post this as a reminder to myself.

5 comments:

BWei said...

Funny--my mom has this on a plaque that I now have, but I have never heard/read the first part of the poem. Thanks for sharing! I definitely need the reminder.

Grandma Kim said...

One of my favorite quotes. I don't know if you remember this hanging in our hall for years - I bought it in Cleveland when you were a little girl and when Katie was born a a reminder to myself. I am sure you will do better at it than I. time goes by so swiftly. M

Sarah McK said...

What a great poem! I love this!

Alisa said...

LOVE THIS!! I think I'll have to post this somewhere on my blog, too! What a great reminder for all moms.

Mama_Mary said...

I'd never seen any of that poem except the last four lines either - now I get to love the whole thing. Love, Aunt Maribeth