I have one ACTIVE 15 month old that I'm trying to keep busy in church. Any suggestions? He just moves so quickly from one thing to the next and hates having to sit in one place for too long. Which, incidentally, makes three hours seem VERY long. This week we got a new activity book for him, didn't interest him at all, and brought a deck of playing cards (not sure what people thought of that but I was desperate), which he loved and dumped out and put in the box for a while. But that can't last forever. I need some new material!
He spends much of each day now climbing up on chairs, tables, computers, and counters and then getting frustrated with me when I remove him. I need to invest in a jungle gym!!!!
7.26.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
Have you tried stickers yet? We can keep Evan pretty busy with a bunch of stickers. He also loves to play with my wallet, which I NEVER let him do....unless I'm desperate! Snacks always helped us, too. If I could just keep giving him food, he'd stay quiet. haha!
Can you put together a little bag that he only get during service? Bubbles, special cars, slinky, etc. You can just go to the dollar store and pick up whatever looks fun.
We're on the same boat! Emma can't stay still and quiet. I have Ryan handle the situation though...I'm too fat to be able to do anything (at least that excuse seems to work for now!) I have been looking at some cute ideas on quiet books (http://quietbook.blogspot.com/) online, and i think I'm going to have to make her one and see if that helps.
Answering your question, the girl in the picture is my sister in law's sister. And I so not look cute! But thanks for being sweet and making me feel better! :)
haha! welcome to boyhood:) when asher was that age, he always did the same thing! it was so hard at church and it would be so frustrating and then i would look over and jillian would just be sitting and cuddling in your lap all quiet and sweet. hehe... actually, we did both of those ideas (stickers and bag with dollar store toys) and they both helped. also, i just came to terms with the fact that (pre-nursery) asher just needed to roam the halls and get his energy out. once he started nursery, he was more mature and could make it through sacrament mtg easier....with the help of food and toys, etc.
Isaac took his first trip down the chapel aisle last sunday. now he's officially a BIG distraction. Thanks so much for the st. louis book. I now have way too many things I want to do in two years.
Just repeat to yourself "Three more months until nursery. Three more months until nursery." While rocking back and forth, wringing your hands. Hehe- well when Trevor gets a little too active I just hide out in the mother's room for a bit and let him roam around while I listen to sacrament.
I once left Sacrament meeting with Michael and ran into Josh in the hall with Sam a few minutes later. They just hate being still once they can run. We got magnet doodle boards at the Target check out and drew tons of stuff on there for them, erasing it as soon as they didn't like it anymore. Also, we sat by some families who liked to help us out! Look for empty nesters or families with teenagers.
Ah! I wish I had the perfect answer to this. But, with every one of my kids, different things worked and didn't work. I think Charles is probably the most like your little guy and we had to babyproof everything that might be dangerous(cabinet doors to soaps/medicines/knives/the refrigerator because he learned how to crack eggs etc) and then just let him go at it. And he would make tons of messes everywhere(he loves the tupperware and towel drawers and the books shelves, but they're safe so I just let him), but I tried to make a game out of cleaning up too so that the house wasn't too much of a disaster at all times.
As for church, I really like magic markers because they'll only write on the magic paper, so if he writes on the pews or our clothes(which I don't encourage and I always try and stop), at least it doesn't show up. And we did a lot of hall roaming until he was probably 2 or so. For awhile, I even had Elisabeth and Charles practice playing church: we'd grab our church bags, and bring them over to the couch several times a week and then we'd sit there quietly, practice using our quiet voices and just color and look at books. I know that sounds boring, but it helped a lot. At first they could only sit still for a few minutes, but each time I increased our quiet time and we eventually got to an hour! I had thought it would have been impossible. Anyways, probably too much info! :) Good luck
Lift the flap books. Brooks is really diggin those right now. Yeah for us that he is in nursery by the end of August. I am also a giver of a lot of snacks. Not so great I know, but one day a week won't kill the little guy. Good luck!
try giving him a baby brother - that's what I did for running boy Ian at the age of 15 months - can you believe it???? and people wonder why I'm crazy???!!!! xoxox
Aunt Maribeth
Post a Comment